Recently I’ve heard these 3 things a lot…
“I’m totally scared of social media.”
“I don’t want social media to f*ck me up.”
“I just don’t like social media, it consumes my time and I end up feeling unhappy because I just compare myself to everyone.”
If you’ve said any of the above, this is for you!
Tip 1: Take command of your feeds.
- Unfollow accounts that don’t make you happy and follow accounts that do make you happy.
If you can’t unfollow someone on Instagram because of work or friendship, use the mute button. To mute an account on Instagram, tap the ellipses button (…) in the top-right corner of any post.
To mute accounts on Twitter, follow these instructions.
And on Facebook, you can unfollow someone, while still remaining friends with them. That way you won’t see them on your feed, but they won’t know that 😉
- Avoid messages and comments that make you unhappy.
Mute keywords on Twitter by following these instructions here.
On Instagram, you can also turn off commenting on certain posts, by clicking here.
Or, filter out comments based on key words by following these instructions here.
Tip 2: Monitor screen time.
- Use an app like MOMENT to set daily limits so that you don’t over do social media. I think you’ll find that you’ll navigate social media in a much more purpose driven way as a result.
- Or — simply schedule breaks for social media. For instance, I know coaches who give themselves 20 minutes to engage and respond to comments 3 times a day. It keeps them checking in throughout the day but also keeps them from disappearing down a rabbit hole.
- Also, there’s a new feature on Instagram! Tap the three lines in the top right hand corner of your profile page. A menu of options starting with “insights” will appear. Directly under insights — if you’ve received the feature — will be “your activity.” It will tell you how much time you’ve been on the app so you can keep yourself in check.
Tip 3: Know what areas of social media are working for you so you can be less present on the rest.
- Audit your numbers! And if you don’t know how, we offer social media audits. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more. We’ll help you come up with a content plan based on what’s currently working and… what’s not.
Alright gang, that’s a wrap on this week!
PS: Got questions? DM me on Instagram! Don’t forget that I hold Q+A Thursday in my Instagram Story every Thursday, too!